Skip to main content

Five Girls and Two Sisters . . .

My niece is in town visiting from England.   She is one of five children, all are girls, and each and every one of them is completely different from the one before.  Five children, all raised in the same home by the same two parents, yet five totally different personalities with totally different views on politics, religion, love, and life.  How can five children raised under the same influence be so totally different?

My sister and I are twins separated at birth by an undisclosed number of years.  We would tell you but then . . .

We are now asking "the girls" to lie about their age.  They are now the age we say we are.  She jokes that the first two are from her husband's first marriage . . .  She and I are in deep denial.  When did we turn the age of our parents?  Whatever happened to don't trust anyone over thirty?  When did we even turn thirty?

She and I were raised by the same set of parents and assorted relatives, and somehow we have managed to turn out so very similar.  We are so much alike that we sound like each other, and it is easy to fool the girls into thinking that I am she.  They call and ask permission and I say okay . . .

When I was a young teen at first glance people would mistake me for her although she was slightly taller and thinner.   We hate pickles and chocolate does not make either of us wild with delight.  We both love cosmos, the drink, and rum and Coke, although I take mine with the diet version.  Okay, there are a few more differences: she loves to shop, isn't wild about receiving cut flowers as a gift, nor does she care for cheesecake.  I will shop for my home, not clothes, love cut flowers, especially Irises, and can anyone say Tiramisu Cheesecake?

When one of the girls married a few years ago, she toasted me as her second mother. It was an honor.  She is perfect.  They each are, and are each special in their own way, all loving and wonderful, simply magnificent, and it is such a pleasure to know and be friends with each and every one of them.

Like everyone, I have a few regrets in my life.  Just a few, a very few.  One of them is that I never had the opportunity to be adults friends with our mother.  I think perhaps it would have been a privilege to spend my adult years knowing her.

Instead, I know my sister, and she knows me, and through those five girls I can see how much my mother would have enjoyed being friends with us, and how much we would have enjoyed being friends with her.

It is soon to be April.  My mother's birthday followed her sister's on the very next day, and we can never transition into April without my remembering them and the influence they had on our lives.  They were very much like my sister and I . . . so very much alike, twins separated at birth by a more than a handful of years . . . my mother the glamour girl . . . my aunt the one who wasn't . . .

We are four women of two different generations . . . yet so very much alike.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Satan Pursues Us – The Lion Readies Himself to Pounce

Working on a project for a client, I knew that we needed a breakthrough.  Two years previously this had been one of the client’s best revenue streams, but through a series of events, which included a failing local and national economy, major job loss in the sector that had supplied the majority of customers for this product, last year the clients found themselves with a stalled business entity.  One day recently, we had a little success.  A sale.  The first one in months and months. “How did they come in?” I asked, expecting to hear the source of how they found out about the product. “I prayed them in,” she replied in all seriousness.  I prayed them in. I was expecting to hear newspaper or internet but instead I got God.  “Awesome,” I replied.  “You keep praying them in and I will too!” In a roundabout way, God put the idea for the way to the breakthrough into my head, so I called up my associate and presented her with the plan. “God is telling me that we need to march around t

When Satan Pursues Us – Don't Miss Out On the Blessing

There is a direct correlation between our obedience to the Lord God’s faithfulness and the way things will go for us, yet somehow we continue chasing our own desires instead of His.   We will bend and break the rules however we need in order to have our way . . . I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul  . . . Disobedience is one of Satan’s best tools and he is happy to lend it to us.   In fact, that’s a tool he hopes we don’t return as he’d like us to keep trying to do things our way and not God’s in order make us miss the blessings God intends for us.   When I was working seven days a week, day in, day out, occasionally I’d think about skipping that early Sunday morning church service at MPC . . . but then God would whisper in my ear . . . “Miss church and miss the blessing”.   I knew it wasn’t my mother whispering in my ear.   My mother was not the type to whisper, nor was she the type to shout . . . she used a mother’s best tool: guilt . “It’s only an hour a week

Good People Go to Heaven . . . Don't They?

If good people go to heaven . . . then how good do they need to be? I suppose if you don't believe in God, and think that after you take your last breath that you cease to exist, then for you heaven doesn't matter because it doesn't exist.  For you, this one life is, well, this is all that there is.  Live life and enjoy! Some day your number will be up and that's that . . . that's all there is. It's interesting to me that some people believe in heaven, but not in hell.  In trying to think through why we would have a heaven but no hell the only sound conclusion is that we simply don't like the idea of hell.  " It's not fair!" We whine. Why should some get to go to Heaven, but not others? It's just not fair!"   So what happens to the bad people?  I mean, if there is a place for "good" people . . . shouldn't there also be a place for "bad" people?   There are bad people, aren't there?   Yet most peopl