Skip to main content

God is in the Details

I often hear people saying that worshiping nature is a form of idolatry.  Well, I have got to admit to you that I can't stop gazing up at stars at night.  I make it a point to look up to the heavens just to see the magnificence of it all.  There is something about the infinity of that inky-blue blackness and those millions of stars that remind me that it is not all about me while reaffirming the greatness of the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.  That's my God, too!

Right now I am perched up in the hill country of Texas.  There is a magnificent lake the size of an ocean below me, and already, as the sun falls off the horizon behind the hills to my right I can see twinkling lights appearing one by one on the distant horizon around the lake. 

The wind has picked up just enough, reminding me of the breath of God.  These gorgeous trees called Texas Willows and something else similar with these lovely pink blossoms are just waving about in the breeze.  Below me there is red feather grass with the most unbelievable coloring that I have ever seen.  Nearby a waterfall is breaking the silence, but it's all good.

So as I sit here, perched high up in the west Texas hills, I see God in all of this beauty.  Talk about majesty!  I'm really glad that He came and sat here awhile with me this evening.  What a gift.

This isn't idolatry.  This is simply someone appreciating the magnificence of creation.  Call it idolatry if you must, but while each of us is important to God, we need to remember that in the scheme of things . . . not one of us is greater than the other. He sees all the same.  He gave all of us this to enjoy.  Let's tread lightly on our earth, and on the hearts and lives of others.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When Satan Pursues Us – The Lion Readies Himself to Pounce

Working on a project for a client, I knew that we needed a breakthrough.  Two years previously this had been one of the client’s best revenue streams, but through a series of events, which included a failing local and national economy, major job loss in the sector that had supplied the majority of customers for this product, last year the clients found themselves with a stalled business entity.  One day recently, we had a little success.  A sale.  The first one in months and months. “How did they come in?” I asked, expecting to hear the source of how they found out about the product. “I prayed them in,” she replied in all seriousness.  I prayed them in. I was expecting to hear newspaper or internet but instead I got God.  “Awesome,” I replied.  “You keep praying them in and I will too!” In a roundabout way, God put the idea for the way to the breakthrough into my head, so I called up my associate and presented her with the plan. “God is telling me that we need to march around t

The Joke's on Me . . . Part Deux!

In my last post, an eon ago, I mentioned that I had moved across country and was in search of a new church home so that I would feel as though I really had a home here in North Texas. What I didn't mention in that post is how God encouraged me to make the move. I know people talk about wanting a sign from God, but God was so determined for me to come out here that He was making it nigh on impossible for me not to get the message that I was to pack and GO! NOW! As I was saying in my last post, I ended up visiting my niece's Baptist church for three weeks because she asked me to attend with her. Now, the fact that she had been saved and dunked like a donut by the Baptists is especially funny to me because it reminds me that when praying to God, be careful what you ask for because you just might get it . . . but not in the way you imagined! I forgot to ask God to make any non-saved relatives Presbyterians, or Lutherans, Methodists or Episcopalians, so He dropped her down among

When Satan Pursues Us – Don't Miss Out On the Blessing

There is a direct correlation between our obedience to the Lord God’s faithfulness and the way things will go for us, yet somehow we continue chasing our own desires instead of His.   We will bend and break the rules however we need in order to have our way . . . I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul  . . . Disobedience is one of Satan’s best tools and he is happy to lend it to us.   In fact, that’s a tool he hopes we don’t return as he’d like us to keep trying to do things our way and not God’s in order make us miss the blessings God intends for us.   When I was working seven days a week, day in, day out, occasionally I’d think about skipping that early Sunday morning church service at MPC . . . but then God would whisper in my ear . . . “Miss church and miss the blessing”.   I knew it wasn’t my mother whispering in my ear.   My mother was not the type to whisper, nor was she the type to shout . . . she used a mother’s best tool: guilt . “It’s only an hour a week